Biden new team
On 24 November 2020, the USA President-elect Joe Biden announced his nominees for key foreign policy and national security roles as the transition process officially began. Antony Blinken will be secretary of state and John Kerry as Climate change envoy. He picked Linda Thomas-Greenfield to represent his nation in UNO as ambassador. He announced many firsts on the team, including Avril Haines, a former deputy director of the C.I.A, who would be the first woman to serve as director of national intelligence, and Alejandro Mayorkas, who would be the first Latino and first immigrant to lead the Department of Homeland Security.
While unveiling the new team Biden said “America is back” and noted that Jake Sullivan, his choice to serve as National Security Adviser, would be the youngest person to coordinate the national security team in decades.
12th BRICS Summit
On 17 November 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually participated in the 12th summit of BRICS (Brazil Russia - India - China - South Africa) group. This year's theme was 'Global stability, shared security and innovative growth'. While addressing the meet, PM Modi reiterated India's long-standing demand for reformed multilateralism. He also touched upon the need to reform the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) in light of contemporary challenges. Russian President Vladimir Putin announced the approval of the Moscow Declaration, the BRICS Anti-Terrorism Strategy and the BRICS updated strategy for the economic partnership until 2025 at the culmination of the 12th BRICS summit.
India’s own IRNSS
On 11 November 2020, India became the fourth country in the world to have its independent regional navigation satellite system recognised by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) as a part of the World Wide Radio Navigation System (WWRNS). Now this navigation system can replace GPS (Global Positioning Systems) in the Indian Ocean waters up to 1500 km from the Indian boundary. By this, India has become the fourth country to have its independent regional navigation system after the USA, Russia and China.
'My understanding about Gandhi'
A special anthology on Mahatma Gandhi 'Maile Bujheko Gandhi' (My understanding about Gandhi) was released by Nepal President Bidhya Devi Bhandari during a ceremony at Kathmandu on 9 November 2020. The pictorial anthology in Nepalese has been released to celebrate 151st Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and to mark the culmination of the two years long celebrations of '150 years of Mahatma'. The book has been brought out by the Embassy of India along with the BP Koirala India-Nepal Foundation.
Second World Health Expo
The Second World Health Expo was held between 11-14 November 2020 in Wuhan, the capital city of Central China’s Hubei Province. The expo features 12 different venues for audiences to experience the most frontier health technology.
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) began on 20 November 2020 hosted by Malaysia. The official theme of the summit is "Optimising Human Potential Towards a Resilient Future of Shared Prosperity: Pivot. Prioritise. Progress". After the virtual summit, the leaders issued the Kuala Lumpur Declaration. They adopted the Putrajaya Vision 2040, which is a new 20-year growth vision to replace the Bogor Goals named after the Indonesian town where leaders agreed in 1994 to free and open trade and investment. The leaders also pledged to build an “open dynamic, resilient and peaceful region” by 2040.
UMANG International Version
On 23 November 2020, UMANG app's international version was launched by Union IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad
during a virtual conference to mark three years of the platform. The UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) app provides a single platform to access pan India e-governance services ranging from central to local government bodies, and other citizen-centric services. It will help Indian international students, NRIs and Indian tourists abroad, to avail Government of India services, anytime.
G 20 Summit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi stressed the importance of reforms in multilateral organisations to ensure better global governance for faster post-Covid recovery at the G-20 Summit hosted by Saudi Arabia between 21-22 November 2020. The theme of the summit was "Realising the Opportunities of the 21st Century for All”. The G-20 Riyadh Summit Leaders Declaration said that G 20 next meetings will be in Italy in 2021, Indonesia in 2022, India in 2023 and Brazil in 2024.
The Chairman of DRDO, G.Satheesh Reddy, flagged off the first Varunastra, the Heavy Weight Torpedo, being delivered to the Indian Navy, at a ceremony held at Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) Visakhapatnam Unit on 21 November 2020. Varunastra has been designed and developed by NSTL (Naval Science & Technological Laboratory) Visakhapatnam. Varunastra is a ship-launched, heavyweight, electrically-propelled anti-submarine torpedo capable of targeting quiet submarines, both in deep and shallow waters in an intense countermeasures environment.
Safaimitra Suraksha Challenge
On 19 November 2020, the Union minister of state Housing and Urban Affairs (Independent Charge) Hardeep Singh Puri launched the Safaimitra Suraksha Challenge, to ensure that no person needs to enter a sewer or septic tank, unless unavoidable in the interest of greater public hygiene. The virtual event witnessed participation of representatives from 243 cities across the country, coming together to take a pledge to mechanize all sewer and septic tank cleaning operations by 30th April 2021. The Challenge will focus extensively on creating citizen awareness on this critical issue along with infrastructure creation for mechanized cleaning and capacity building of the workforce. The initiative was launched on the occasion of World Toilet Day, observed every year on 19 November.
Lilavati Awards 2020
On 17 November 2020, Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launched AICTE’s Lilavati Awards 2020 virtually. The Theme of the award is “Women Empowerment”. This award intends to recognize the efforts being made by AICTE approved institutions to treat women with ‘equality and fairness’ in all spheres of their lives.
Statue of Peace
Prime Minister Modi unveiled the 151inch tall “Statue of Peace” to mark 151st Birth Anniversary of Jainacharya Shree Vijay Vallabh Surishwer Ji Maharaj on 16 November 2020 which was installed at Vijay Vallabh Sadhana Kendra, Jetpura, in Pali, Rajasthan. Shree Vijay Vallabh Surishwer Ji Maharaj (1870-1954) led an austere life as a Jain Saint working selflessly and dedicatedly to spread the message of Lord Mahavira.
The Second edition of India, Singapore and Thailand Trilateral Maritime Exercise SITMEX-20 was held from 21 to 22 November 2020 in the Andaman Sea. The exercise was conducted to increase the mutual inter-operability and imbibing best practices among the three naval forces. This year SITMEX hosted by Singapore.
Vaccine review tour
On 28 November 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited three cities to review the vaccine development and manufacturing process for COVID being done by various pharma companies. He visited the Zydus Biotech Park in Ahmedabad, Bharat Biotech in Hyderabad and Serum Institute of India in Pune.
All India Presiding Officers Conference
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the 80th All India Presiding Officers Conference at Kevadia, Gujrat on 25 November 2020. The Theme of the conference was ‘Harmonious Coordination between Legislature, Executive and JudiciaryKey to a Vibrant Democracy’. The Lok Sabha Speaker and the Chairman of the All India Presiding Officers Conference Om Birla said that there will be a commitment to implement the decisions taken during the two-day conference in a phased manner.
On 25 November 2020, the Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot inaugurated ‘Garima Greh, the Shelter Home for Transgender Persons’ in Vadodara, Gujarat virtually. He also e-launched a ‘National Portal for Transgender Persons’. The Portal would help a transgender person in applying for a Certificate and Identity card digitally from anywhere in the country without having to visit any office. It should be noted that the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019 came into effect on 10th January 2020 is the first concrete
step towards ensuring the welfare of Transgender persons.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired the 33rd PRAGTI (Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation) meeting on 25 November 2020. In this, multiple projects, grievances and programmes were reviewed involving the cost of Rs 1.41 lakh crore that were related to ten states and union territories.
Bengaluru Tech Summit
On 19 November 2020, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Bengaluru Tech Summit (BTS) 2020 virtually. PM had given a call to the young talents to create robust cybersecurity solutions to protect our data and IT-based products. Prime Minister of Australia Scott Morrison participated in the meet who said that Bengaluru is India's biggest tech cluster.
2020 UN Population Award
On 11 November 2020, the Queen Mother of Bhutan, her Majesty Gyalyum Sangay Choden Wangchuck, was announced as the individual laureate for the 2020 United Nations Population Award. HelpAge India was announced as the award’s institutional laureate. Gyalyum Wangchuck is a longstanding champion of sexual and reproductive health and rights and the need to end violence against women, girls and children in Bhutan. The world’s ageing population has
gained increasing attention in recent years, but HelpAge India has been working with and for disadvantaged elderly people in India for nearly four decades. Established by the United Nations General Assembly in 1981, the United Nations Population Award recognizes contributions in the fields of population and reproductive health.
Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal was conferred with the Vatayan Lifetime Achievement Award for his exemplary contribution in the field of literature on 21 November 2020. The award was conferred in an online ceremony for his contribution in the field of literature. The award - given by the VatayanUK organisation in London - honours poets, writers and artists for exemplary work in their respective fields. Nishank earlier received several awards in the field of literature and administration including Sahitya Bharati award, Sahitya Gaurav Samman and Bharat Gaurav Samman.
A Malayalam film about a hunt for a bull on the run ‘Jallikattu’ was selected as this year's Oscar entry in the Best International Feature Film category of the 93rd Academy Awards 2021. The film directed by Lijo Jose Pellissery. The film was premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and was also screened at the Busan festival. It is based on a short story by the writer S Hareesh titled Maoist.
International Children's Peace Prize
On 14 November 2020, Sadat Rahman, a teenager from Bangladesh won the International Children's Peace Prize for his efforts to educate young people about cyberbullying. He was inspired to create this mobile app to help young people report online abuse after hearing about a 15-year-old girl who took her own life because of bullying. The prize is given away by the international children’s rights organization KidsRights to a child, who fights courageously for children’s rights.
National Newborn Week 2020
National Newborn Week 2020 observed from 15 November to 21 November. The theme of the National Newborn Week is 'Quality, equity, dignity for every newborn at every health facility and everywhere’. On this eve, Union Health Minister
Harsh Vardhan said that India has successfully met the 2017 target of the newborn mortality rate of 24 per 1,000 live births and is making efforts to fulfil the target of stillbirth rate of 19 per 1,000 total births by this year. He released a detailed progress card on India Newborn Action Plan targets. He further added that a newborn mortality rate of 23 per 1,000 live births as per the Sample Registration System (SRS), 2018, and estimates of the United Nations Inter-Agency Group for Child Mortality Estimation (UNIGME).
Douglas Stuart of Scotland won the Booker Prize for fiction ‘Shuggie Bain’ on 19 November 2020. The prestigious 50,000 pounds ($ 66,000) award conferred on his debut novel about a boy in Glasgow (Scotland) trying to support his mother, as she struggles with addiction and poverty. Stuart dedicated his book and his prize to his mother, who died of alcoholism when he was 16. Burnt Sugar, a novel written by Avni Doshi, the Indian origin American woman author, settled in Dubai is one among the nominated books for this coveted prize.
1. Who was re-elected as the president of Athletics Federation of India?
1) Dr Michael Irani 2) Rohan Jaitley 3) Adille Sumariwalla 4) Anil Jain 5) Gyanendro Ningombam
2. The USA President-elect Joe Biden appointed an Indian-American as the policy director of his wife Jill Biden. He/ She is……..
1) Manga Anantatmula 2) Renu Khator 3) Sruthi Palaniappa 4) Rita Baranwal 5) Mala Adiga
3. Abhayam, the project for safety and security of women passengers launched by…....
1) AP 2) Telangana 3) Kerala 4) MP 5) Delhi
4. India International Cherry Blossom Festival, the calendar event of which state cancelled this year in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic?
1) Manipur 2) Nagaland 3) Mizoram 4) Meghalaya 5) Tripura
5. Women's T-20 World Cup 2023 to be hosted by……….
1) India 2) Australia 3) South Africa 4) Sri Lanka 5) New Zealand
6. Delhi got 62nd rank in the list of World’s Best Cities for 2021 prepared by Resonance Consultancy Limited. Which city got the first rank in the world?
1) New York 2) Paris 3) Moscow 4) London 5) Los Angles
7. Which nation successfully launched its Chang'e-5 lunar mission to collect rocks from the moon?
1) Japan 2) North Korea 3) China 4) South Korea 5) Thailand
8. 14-year-old girl won the prestigious Children's Climate Prize for designing a mobile ironing cart using solar panels to power a steam iron box rather than conventional charcoal. She is........
1) Vinisha Umashankar 2) Aishwarya Sridhar 3) Seema Gupta 4) Sudha Painuli 5) Neelakantha Jonnalagadda
9. Who is elected as the new chairman of International Cricket Council (ICC)?
1) Giovanni Infantino 2) Jacques Rogge 3) Greg Barclay 4) Thomas Bach 5) Chris Kermode
10. Francisco Sagasti was sworn in as interim president of which nation on 17 November 2020?
1) Peru 2) Moldova 3) Ivory Coast 4) Tanzania 5) Kosovo
11. Aung San Suu Kyi's ruling National League for Democracy (NLD) claimed a victory in Myanmar’s second parliamentary election. What is the currency of Myanmar?
1) Kyat 2) Taka 3) Shilling 4) Rupee 5) Tenge
12. List of important days given. The correct combination is...
1) National Education Day-11 NOV 2) Public Service Broadcasting Day-12 NOV
3) Samvidhan Diwas or Constitution Day - 26 NOV 4) World Toilet Day - 19 NOV 5) All of above
13. India’s longest single-lane motorable suspension bridge in Tehri Garhwal district on Tehri lake was inaugurated in………
1) Chhattisgarh 2) Assam 3) Arunachal Pradesh 4) Uttarakhand 5) Maharashtra
14. Who was appointed as state icon of Punjab by the Election Commission of India?
1) Chacha Chaudhary 2) Harmanpreet Kaur 3) Sonu Sood 4) Yuvraj Singh 5) Harbhajan Singh
15. Which Cyclone caused damage in the states of Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and Andhra Pradesh recently?
1) Gaja 2) Gati 3) Nivar 4) Goni 5) Eta
16. Who is the author of the book ‘A promised Land’?
1) Shashi Tharoor 2) Boris Johnson 3) Barack Obama 4) Romila Thapar 5) Pope Francis
17. The 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference, also known as COP26 to be hosted between 1-12 November 2021 at……….
1) Zurich, Switzerland 2) Paris, France 3) Bonn, Germany 4) Buenos Aires, Argentina 5) Glasgow, Scotland
18. ‘Delhi Crime’ won the best drama series honour at the 48th International Emmy Awards. Who is the director of the series?
1) Ismail Umar Khan 2) Garry Bhinder 3) Sumeet Sachdev 4) Richie Mehta 5) Krishna CH
19. World’s first library for children on a tram launched in….
1) Pune 2) Chennai 3) Kolkata 4) Cuttack 5) Aizawl
20. Lonar Lake in which state has been chosen as a wetland site of international importance under the Ramsar conservation treaty?
1) Karnataka 2) Maharashtra 3) MP 4) Assam 5) Jammu and Kashmir
Key: 1-3; 2-5; 3-1; 4-4; 5-3; 6-4; 7-3; 8-1; 91-3; 10-1; 11-1; 12-5; 13-4; 14-3; 15-3; 16-3; 17-5; 18-4; 19-3; 20-2.